Here at WinsterCreations™ we're very often asked about what size photo frame you should buy to fit the various print sizes that we offer. So to help you choose the right size frame for your new prints, we've compiled a list of our favourite frame sizes, where to buy and easy-to-understand measurements to help you figure this all out. We'll also share a top-tip for when it comes to framing your new prints.
Typically our table-top print sizes are considered to be A6 and A5 almost exclusively. These are well suited to side-tables, fireplaces and dressing room tables. If you're looking to frame your prints and hang them on the wall then you should probably be considering sizes A4, A3 and A2, as these are best suited to wall frames.
If you don't fully understand our print sizing, just remember one thing; each size is exactly double the size that came before it.
- A6 is our smallest size and measures 10.5 x 14.85 cm (roughly 4 x 6 inches)
- A5 is therefore double the size of an A6, measuring at 14.85 x 21 cm (roughly 6 x 8 inches)
- A4 is then double the size of an A5, measuring 21 x 29.7 cm (roughly 8 x 12 inches)
- A3 is then double the size of an A4, measuring 29.7 x 42 cm (roughly 12 x 16 inches)
- A2 is then double the size of an A3, measuring 42 x 59.4 cm (roughly 16 x 23 inches)
So what frame size should I buy?
Well, before rushing out and purchasing your photo frames, make sure you've already picked the right size frame for the job in-hand. It sounds obvious, but you'll be surprised to discover the vast array of frame sizes that are actually available.
As a rule of thumb consider this; most shops will typically label and sell photo frames based on the visible window area, in inches (not cm's).
To save you the headache we've compiled a list of our best recommendations below;
- 4x6" (no mount) best suited for A6 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
- 8x6" (with mount) best suited for A5 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
- 9x7" (with mount, removed) best suited for borderless A4 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
- A3 (with mount) best suited for A4 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
- A3 (with mount, removed) best suited for borderless A3 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
- A2 (with mount) best suited for A3 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
- A2 (with mount, removed) best suited for borderless A2 size prints. (Available at Asda here →)
Top-tip! Mounting your new prints
DO NOT use sellotape to tape the print to the window mount. Over time most conventional tapes (such as sellotape) will dry-out and your prints will fall out of the mounted window! Instead, our best advice is to purchase Framers Tape (Available at Amazon here →). It's brown in colour and specifically designed for the purpose of framing and mounting your prints correctly. It might cost a bit more, but it'll make your life easier, does not damage your prints and your prints will last for years on end.