Pay up to 30 days later. No interest. No fees. Learn more →

What size photo frames should I buy?

Posted by Kayley Knowles on

Here at WinsterCreations™ we're very often asked about what size photo frame you should buy to fit the various print sizes that we offer. So to help you choose the right size frame for your new prints, we've compiled a list of our favourite frame sizes, where to buy and easy-to-understand measurements to help you figure this all out. We'll also share a top-tip for when it comes to framing your new prints.

Typically our table-top print sizes are considered to be A6 and A5 almost exclusively. These are well suited to side-tables, fireplaces and dressing room tables. If you're looking to frame your prints and hang them on the wall then you should probably be considering sizes A4, A3 and A2, as these are best suited to wall frames.

If you don't fully understand our print sizing, just remember one thing; each size is exactly double the size that came before it.

For example;

  • A6 is our smallest size and measures 10.5 x 14.85 cm (roughly 4 x 6 inches)
  • A5 is therefore double the size of an A6, measuring at 14.85 x 21 cm (roughly 6 x 8 inches)
  • A4 is then double the size of an A5, measuring 21 x 29.7 cm (roughly 8 x 12 inches)
  • A3 is then double the size of an A4, measuring 29.7 x 42 cm (roughly 12 x 16 inches)
  • A2 is then double the size of an A3, measuring 42 x 59.4 cm (roughly 16 x 23 inches)

So what frame size should I buy?

Well, before rushing out and purchasing your photo frames, make sure you've already picked the right size frame for the job in-hand. It sounds obvious, but you'll be surprised to discover the vast array of frame sizes that are actually available.

As a rule of thumb consider this; most shops will typically label and sell photo frames based on the visible window area, in inches (not cm's).

Where and what to buy?

For your convenience, you can now buy George Home frames to fit all of our prints directly at our website. These are dispatched directly from George Home and delivered to you within 7 working days, subject to availability.

Important: you may pay more to purchase frames directly from us than you will if you buy them in-store or online. You can find George Home frames available at ASDA in-store and online.

Alternatively, you can find George Home frames locally, sold at most Asda stores  right across the UK. To save you the headache we've compiled a list of our best recommendations below (and you'll even save some money if you go in-store and get them instead).

Top-tip! Mounting your new prints

DO NOT use sellotape to tape the print to the window mount. Over time most conventional tapes (such as sellotape) will dry-out and your prints will fall out of the mounted window! Instead, our best advice is to purchase Framers Tape (Available at Amazon here →). It's brown in colour and specifically designed for the purpose of framing and mounting your prints correctly. It might cost a bit more, but it'll make your life easier, does not damage your prints and your prints will last for years on end.